Today we are celebrating 68th Republic Day of out country India, so we have compiled some interesting facts about this special day which you might not be aware of and as a proud citizen of India everyone should know:-
- January 26, 1930 was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day or Purna Swaraj Day. It’s the day India decided to fight for complete freedom.
- After we achieved Independence on August 15 in 1947, our leaders wanted January 26 to be remembered in history as well. Therefore, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
- The first Republic Day was celebrated on January 26, 1950, three years after we got independence.
- The first R-Day parade at Rajpath was held in 1955.
- The Constitution of India is the longest written Constitution all over the world (which cannot be read in a single day); it has incorporated “448 Articles in 22 Parts, 12 Schedules and 97 Amendments”.
- A majority of national awards such as Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan and Kirti Chakra are awarded during the Republic Day ceremony.
- Rabindranath Tagore wrote Jana Gana Mana in Bengali first. It was translated by Abid Ali into Hindi, in 1911, and officially adopted as the Indian National Anthem in 1950.